* 30 ml olive oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 335 g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
* 455 g Arborio rice
* 945 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth, warmed
* 120 ml white wine
* 60 ml chile-garlic flavored butter
* 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
* 45 g pine nuts
* 35 g sliced black olives
* 1 large red chile pepper, minced
* ground black pepper to taste
* Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
* Stir in the onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in Arborio rice until well coated in oil; continue cooking until both the onion and rice begin to turn golden-brown, about 8 minutes.
* Pour in white wine and stir until evaporated. Pour in 1/3 of the hot chicken broth; stir constantly as the risotto simmers and slowly absorbs the broth, about 8 minutes. Add half of the remaining broth, and continue stirring until absorbed, about another 8 minutes.
* Stir in chile-garlic butter, shrimp, carrot, pine nuts, black olives, and red chile pepper until the butter has melted. Stir in the remaining chicken broth, and again stir constantly until absorbed, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with black pepper.
*.Taste rice and check it is slightly firm and totally delicious. If it is still a little crunchy, stir in some hot water and continue cooking until it reaches the desired tenderness.
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
* 455 g uncooked pasta
* 15 ml olive oil
* 2 cloves crushed garlic
* 455 g skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cut into bite-size pieces
* 1 (14 ounce) can marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
* 85 g chopped red onion
* 10 g chopped fresh parsley
* 1 large tomato, chopped
* 75 g crumbled feta cheese
* 30 ml lemon juice
* 3 g dried oregano
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 lemons, wedged, for garnish
* Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain.
* Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, and saute for 2 mins. Stir in the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 5 to 6 minutes.
* Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the artichoke hearts, tomato, feta cheese, parsley, lemon juice, oregano and cooked pasta. Stir until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with lemon wedges.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
* 455 g ground beef
* 1 onion, diced
* 5 carrots, thinly sliced
* 120 ml water
* 250 g frozen green beans
* 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 6 red potatoes, finely diced
* 1 (46 fluid ounce) bottle tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
* 235 ml water
* 6 g salt
* 2 g ground black pepper
* In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef, onion and potatoes, covered, until beef is no longer pink and potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
* Meanwhile, place carrots and 1/2 cup water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high 5 minutes, until tender.
* Drain the beef mixture and return to pot with carrots, corn, green beans, juice cocktail, water, salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, until flavors are well blended and soup is hot.