* 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
* 1 pound Italian sausage
* 2 small zucchini, cubed
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 cup sliced carrots
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
* 2 cups spinach - packed, rinsed and torn
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* In pot, brown sausage with garlic.
* Stir in broth, tomatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 mins.
* Stir in beans with liquid and zucchini. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
* Remove from heat, and add spinach.
* Replace the lid allowing the heat from the soup to cook the spinach leaves. Soup is ready to serve after 5 mins.
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Saturday, November 10, 2007
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 16 ounces fresh spinach, washed & chopped
* 6 ounces low-fat, firm silken tofu
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1/8 cup low-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup diced red onion
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 10 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
* 6 ounces fresh sliced shiitake mushrooms
* 1/4 cup bacon bits
* 1 pound penne pasta
* Cook the pasta according to package directions.
* While pasta is cooking, in food processor or blender, combine spinach, tofu, lemon juice, garlic, broth, cheese, pepper, and Italian seasoning, process until smooth. Set aside.
* Spray a large non-stick saute pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook onions and mushrooms until tender. Reduce heat to low, add pesto mixture and heat until hot.
* Toss pasta with sauce &bacon bits. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. Note that if sauce seems very thick, thin to desired consistency with pasta cooking water or broth.